This summer, I've been trying to cook every meal light and healthy, and one of my favorite things to explore is finding healthier substitutes for ingredients in common recipes. I just wanted to share this different take on one of my favorite dishes, a personally adapted recipe:
A V O C A D O P E S T O
Side note: I love having fresh herbs on my kitchen window sill, but after one weekend of traveling, they turned to this?! If anyone can tell me how to better take care of herbs, I will love you forever.
This dish is simple, flavorful, and without any added oil!
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water give or take
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt, as needed
- whole grain pasta
1. Add avocado, basil, garlic, pine nuts, and cheese to a food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is chopped.
2. Add the lemon juice and water and process until desired consistency.
3. Prepare pasta according to directions on the package.
4. Mix pesto thoroughly into the pasta and top with fresh grated parmesan.
1. You may store pesto in an airtight container for a few days in the fridge.
2. Best served alongside an episode of House of Cards.